Home / Small Animal / Dogs / Passport & Travel



If you are considering travelling abroad with your pet you will need to obtain an official UK pet passport.
The process involved is simple and allows travel between EU and listed countries.*


Firstly a microchip must be inserted or, if already inserted, checked for position and correct reading. We strongly recommend that you get the microchip checked by one of our nurses a few days before you travel to make sure it is reading correctly.

You must then get your dog, cat or ferret vaccinated against rabies before it can travel to another EU country or back into the UK. A period of 21 days following the vaccination must pass before your pet can travel to the EU or return to the UK.  After the first vaccination and the 21 day waiting period, you can enter the UK whenever you like as long as booster vaccinations are given on time.  The rabies vaccination we give is currently valid for 3 years.

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport every time you want to enter the UK. The treatment must be given between 1 and 5 days (24 to 120 hours) before you’re scheduled to arrive in the UK (this can be done with a UK vet before you leave as long as you return within the 120 hour period). The treatment you use must have praziquantel or equivalent as its active ingredient.

Further information on the scheme can also be found on: www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad which we strongly recommend you check before travelling, or phone their helpline on 0370 2411710.

PLEASE NOTE: Although these guidelines are intended to help, ultimately it is your responsibility to check the regulations before travelling with your pet.


*These regulations and policies may change depending on the outcome with Brexit.
Because of this we recommend giving us a call to check guidelines if you are thinking of travelling with your animals. 
Updated June 2019

Powered by Intergage