Home / Small Animal / Passport & Travel




Taking your pet abroad

Pet travel to Europe has changed with effect from 1 January 2021.

EU Pet Passports are no longer valid for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) will now need to be issued by your vet.


Animal Health Certificate (AHC)

You will need to take your pet to see your vet no more than 10 DAYS BEFORE travel to obtain an AHC.

The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet at Damory.  We have 5 vets that are able to sign these certificates.


Before your appointment

You will need to complete our pre-travel form (link below) at least 3 DAYS BEFORE your appointment at the vets.

 Click here to complete your pre-travel form now!  Pre-Travel Form  

Please note that the owners name entered on the Pre-Travel Form MUST be the person attending the appointment.


Take with you to your appointment

We will need you to bring proof of rabies vaccination and proof of the pet identification to your appointment.  If you have a Pet passport that was issued before 31.12.2020 this will suffice. If not, then please bring your vaccination card that shows the current rabies vaccination, and a document confirming that your pet has been microchipped.


AHC validity

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

  • ten days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI

  • on-ward travel within the EU or NI for four months after the date of issue

  • re-entry to UK for four months after the date of issue

The AHC is valid for one entry only from UK into the EU.

If you return home and would like to make another trip to the EU within the four month window, you will need to be issued with a new AHC by your vet.


Re-entering the UK

In order to re-enter you will need one of three documents:

  • a valid AHC

  • your previous EU pet passport

  • an AHC issued by an EU member country


Tapeworm and rabies

A tapeworm treatment will need to be administered by a vet between 20 – 120 hours before re-entry into the UK.

It’s important to keep your pet’s rabies vaccinations up-to-date in order to travel.

Currently, there is no requirement to have a rabies serology blood test.


Further Guidance

Visit the UK Governement website for further information on taking your pet abroad.


Pre-Travel Form

Powered by Intergage